Updated: Jul 28, 2018
Ben Wallis ( aka Benny The Runner ) hails from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia. He is a 41yr old Husband and Father who.. Well loves running.
He runs religiously and is a self proclaimed "crazy runner".
Former state junior representative, who after some time away from the sport ( Benny only just started running again 4 and half years ago, after a 17 year hiatus from the sport!), is now back running and making waves in a big way.
Thanks to a few companies backing Benny and a huge support on social media and within the running community, he is thoroughly enjoying his running again and is blessed to have made a plethora of amazing friendships.
1. PBs? All time PB'S are .. 3km ( 8.58 ), 5km ( 15.20 ), 10km ( 32.30 ) . These were back in the 90's while I was in high school. Last year at the Melbourne Marathon I ran a Half Marathon ( 1hr 15.23 ) and the Marathon ( 2hr 43 ) PB's in the same race.
2. What is your motivation? Well. Without sounding weird.. I could say social media. Without social media and the people I have met, I could say with confidence that I wouldn't be running at all.
Follow Benny on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/bennytherunner/
3. Most memorable race? Well.. That's a really hard question to be honest. I've had a fair few in my running adventures.
4. Number of marathons you have run: This year in October will be my Third official Marathon.
5. Where was your first marathon? Melbourne, 2016
Benny in the Melbourne Marathon
6. Ever DNF? None that I can actually think of.
7. The only running shoes for me: Saucony.
8. Ever injured? Yeah, I fell off my skateboard ( oldies don't bounce too good ) and fractured my left arm in early December last year. Otherwise, just the typical runners issues / niggles. I've been pretty lucky.
9. Hot or cold weather runner? Everyone loves running in the warmer weather, its natural, but we just have to train in winter to get tougher and enjoy the marathon season and or Winter Cross Country racing.
10. Morning or evening runs? At the time of writing, I've been an evening runner ( 7pm onwards ) due to work hours and commitments. I love running at anytime of day to be honest. I will be running both in the Marathon build up after Run Melbourne this weekend.
11. Favorite post race nosh: Depending on the race and where, a beer or two with all my mates I haven't seen for a bit. Otherwise, I'll eat anything. Haha. 12. DeCastella or Moneghetti? Mona's all the way. I say this because I was lucky enough to train with Steve and also Lee Troop back in the day with a bunch of Ballarat crazies. He's the best bloke, great with everyone and very humble.
Deeks is the OG of Aussie distance running of course and is equally impressive with his history and what he's done for Aussie athletics and the indigenous community.
Legends of Australian Running